Switching to the bike for commuting can feel a bit daunting to begin with, but even if we weren’t in the current situation, it’s 100% the way to go. You’ll arrive at work fresher, it’s cheaper (even allowing for a second breakfast), helps cut congestion and gets you fit for free.
The Endura commute crew are here to help you make the switch with some tips on how to choose bike this summer.
- Planning counts – if you have a busy road or nasty roundabout then it’s worth breaking out the map or using an online route planner to work out a way round it. Speak to the other cyclists at work to see what routes they recommend.
Try it out beforehand on a weekend when it’s a little less busy and you have a little more time to play with.
- Invest in a little cycle specific kit. This isn’t the hard sell, but with a helmet, shorts, gloves and a lightweight jacket then that’s plenty to get you started. Do we know a great brand of cycling kit? It’s funny you should mention that… Our wide range of riding kit benefits from years of making kit for commuters and years of commuting in it. Check out our latest commuter kit here.
- Have a think about where and how you lock your bike. We’re lucky with a bike rack in front of our reception area and a bike shelter tucked away elsewhere at our HQ site. You might not be so lucky. Avoid places where thieves get a free run at your pride and joy. Invest in locks – find somewhere you can leave the lock in place overnight saves having to lug it around too.
- Bike maintenance. Have a practice at fixing punctures on your commuter bike before you have one on route – the chances of being stuck on the grass verge with bleeding thumbs from too tight tyres can be avoided with a quick test to make sure you know how to release the tyre properly. Give that old beater a clean from time to time too. A clean(ish) bike is a happy bike.
- Bonus tip – stash a set of underwear and socks somewhere at work. You will forget at least once. Going commando and breezy ankles can be avoided…